September 8, 2010

My New Friend Johnathan

Well, not really new.

I've known Johnathan for a few years now as previously mentioned. I met Johnathan originally when he used to sleep under the bus in the parking lot at the Bread of Life Christian Mission.

Since then he's moved to the other side of town, has a stable hang out, and a reasonably safe place to pitch a tent where the Police are friendly to him. He gets a little work cleaning the parking lot and taking out the trash for a nearby restaurant, this apparently affords him a regular supply of food.

His 5 month old Bulldog/Pit bull "Jedi", is a faithful friend and Johnathan's pride and joy.

Johnathan does have a Bible, "a big old family Bible" he calls it, and seemingly, he isn't in need of anything. (What can I do?)

I'm actually pretty jealous of his lifestyle come to think of it.

Every 5 minute visit with Johnathan is a pleasant break from daily stress, he is mannerly, friendly and always welcoming. Actually, the place where he hangs out is in a busy public area and you can't spend 5 minutes with him without 3 other people stopping by to say hi, or at least, to pet Jedi. Johnathan has a lot of friends. (Why would he need me?)

Today, while hanging out, I offered a "little piece of paper" to Johnathan. I simply said, "Hey man, we've known each other for awhile now, and I want you to have this card". He spent a good long minute reading the front of it, cracked just a little smile, and stuck it in his pocket. He said, "Keith, I thought that was your name, but I always forget". I said, "Well, now you'll remember, and you can call me if I can help you with anything".

I know I didn't follow our script, but hey, like I said, the rules are just guidelines. I'll get better, and so will you.

The point is this, I took a step. I prayed on the way to visit him that it would be God's will that got done, not mine. And I took a step. Does Johnathan need me? Will he ever call? I don't know.

What I do know, is that we went from being just casual acquaintances, one step closer to being friends.

May God Bless you all.

No comments: